Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Raven. An Epitome

Late one evening I was looking over some old papers when I heard a rapping at the door.

On looking out I could see nothing, but after I sat down the rapping was repeated. Then I went to the window and opened the casement when, believe it or not, in stalked a large raven and flew up to perch on the top of a bust of Pallas over the door. To say that I was flabbergasted would be expressing it mildly.

"What's the idea?" I demanded, but the raven quoth "nevermore" in an accent I could not identify. Something between Tagalog and Swahili. That was all. Repeated efforts to get it to come clean brought only the same quoths as if it were acting on the advice of its attorney and hiding behind the fifth amendment.

That was quite a while ago and the creature is still sitting there. What in the world keeps it alive I haven't the least notion as I've never even given it a cracker.

It's rather messy to have it up there all the time, but I've sort of gotten used to it.

P.S.
Still is shitting, still is shitting
On the door and on the floor.
Only that and nothing more.
Goodness gracious what a bore!

No comments:

Post a Comment